Monday, April 11, 2011

Flight Seven - Slow Flight and Stalls

A random Bald Eagle photo.
Not the one we saw today,
but this is the view we had.
Hooray! The weather finally cooperated this morning and my scheduled flight lesson actually happened as planned. Today we practiced slow flight and stall recovery as it applies to landings. Very similar to last lesson - the repetition of landing procedures is what were about for a while.

As of April 1, Pearson Field has been operating a temporary tower to improve separation from wake turbulence generated by commercial flights in and out of PDX. This changes the procedures slightly for departing and arriving. Theresa had me handling all the radio communications this time and it is starting to feel more natural. Check lists and taxiing went nice and smoothly this time (lot's of practice on the simulator pays off) and the take off was effortless.

We headed off the the practice area and did several slow decent to stall and recovery maneuvers and then returned to the field for a few touch and goes. Sometime during the practice runs a bald eagle flew right across our flight path, passing by on my side of the aircraft, we flew within 150 feet or so...it was really beautiful. Damn, it feels good to be back in the air.

We had time for one touch & go and as we came around again we could see some rain approaching and Theresa had me land on the next approach. I landed both times by myself and according to Theresa...I was awesome.

If everything goes according to plan - I'm flying every Monday for the next 6 weeks if the weather cooperates and my funds hold out.

Hours of flight logged this lesson: 1.0 Dual Received (DR)
Cost of this lesson and new sectional map: $162.96

No comments:

Post a Comment