Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A word about video games

Flightgear Screenshot
I have spent a lot of time playing a variety of computer games that are essentially a form of flight simulator. Some of these are actual flight simulators that focus on civil aviation, but for the most part they are air-combat simulators. On the civil aviation side the two programs I've used a lot are Flightgear - a free, open source sim that is available for Wintel/Mac/Linux platforms, and Microsoft Flight Simulator X. On the air-combat side, there are some that are more arcade style and others that are more simulator. Of the more realistic ones, I play Targetware,  IL2-Sturmovik and Wings of Prey. All of these simulators have accurate physics and can be set to high degrees of realism. Not only flight but engine management, instrument reading and navigation. Both Flightgear and MS Flight Simulator X have realistic terrain and real world airports with correct runway configurations and lighting. Flight Simulator X even has accurate significant landmarks like bridges and radio towers.

Flight Simulator X Screenshot
By the time I took my first real flight from Pearson Field, I had simulated the take-off and landing dozens of times from the same runway. The view of the Interstate Bridge and the Columbia River were exactly the same. It was almost anti-climactic. In the big picture, I'm glad to have had so much practice. I was able to concentrate more on learning and watching my instructor.

There was a bit more turbulence than expected, the simulators played at home don't have motion control. The flight physics were the same and the yoke was so sensitive, it actually took less physical effort to fly than using my Saitek X-45 joystick/throttle set-up at home.

The plane I fly most in Simulator X is a sightly larger version of the plane I flew (C172 vs C150). The instrument layout is almost identical and the views out of the cockpit were eerily familiar. My instructor seemed pleased that I could adapt to using a light touch (vs the death-grip that most beginners apparently have on their first flight) so quickly.

I fully credit my obsession with video games for such a great first flight experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment