Monday, October 11, 2010

Practicing with Flight Simulator X

VUO Runway 8, ready for take-off.
Ever since my first real flight lesson, I've been performing more realistic simulations using MS Flight Simulator X. I had not utilized the full extent to which it recreates the complete flying experience before. It's really great practice.

I can generate a flight plan (i.e. Pearson to Scappoose), check the weather, talk to ATC, run through the start check list, taxi to the selected runway, perform the run-up and take-off check lists, take-off and fly to destination and back using the same visual landmarks...i.e. water towers, lakes, smokestacks, railroads/rail yards, etc. In flight I can recreate the pitch, power and trim exercises as well as keeping proper altitudes, etc. I'm hopeful it will help keep me proficient when I'm too poor to fly the real thing as often as I'd like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment